Monday, August 2, 2010

The Saga of Flight 6269

“Here is a simple but powerful rule – always give people more than what they expect.”
Nelson Boswell

I’ve Been Thinking . . . about the idea of exceeding expectations.

Our serving Value says: “We succeed by focusing our attention and energies on anticipating and exceeding people’s expectations. Our actions are driven by a ‘Yes, I Can’ attitude and the commitment that we are ‘Family Serving Family’.”

A recent personal experience might be the best way to explore the presence, or in this case, absence of this value.

Some people get stuck in long lines. . .

Some people get stuck on elevators. . .

Some people get stuck in traffic. . .

Not Glenn ----- It’s Sunday, 3:52p.m.

I (with my wife) get stuck in New York due to a one hour thunderstorm that kept the plane I was scheduled to fly from landing. Result – Flight Cancelled.

Panic! Run to the ticket counter. “I was scheduled on that cancelled….” Before I could finish my emotionally charged statement, the ticket agent pointed to a bank of phones. “Call the Help Line,” he said stoically and unapologetically.

I call the Help Line. (It should be renamed for obvious reasons) Next available flight ---- 5:15 p.m. Monday Evening. Booked. Pull our luggage. Done. Tried to book a flight to Des Moines and drive. Full. Attempted one more time to book a flight early in the morning. No luck. Kept the 5:15 flight.

Okay, take a deep breath, get your luggage and realize you are going to spend another fortune on taxi, meals and a hotel room in New York City.

My wife’s luggage is found. Mine doesn’t come. The baggage ‘guy’ finally tells me to visit with the Baggage Handling Department. “They’re expecting you,” he says. (That’s not a good sign)

Heard the wonderful news --- my luggage accidentally got loaded on a flight to Cincinnati and hopefully it will arrive in Omaha by late Monday night. Baggage Guy: “I’m sorry that happened. We goofed.” That’s it --- no offer for a hotel room, no taxi, no flight, no service, no NOTHING.

“I can’t do anything for you,” he says. “I’m just telling you what happened.” Exactly what I wanted to hear.

4 1/2 hours later Marty and I are in a taxi with a stressed out, irritated, angry at life cab driver who beats on the steering wheel, taps the windshield with his fingers and huffs and puffs at every car we tailgate, pass or nearly sideswipe. His right foot accelerates, decelerates, accelerates, etc. etc. Car sickness sets in. $42 later we are at the hotel.

Dion (nice guy) checks us in. Room 901. Elevators are stuck on the 18th Floor. The lobby is full of anxious, unhappy people. 27 minutes later we’re in the room.

A trip to the department store to buy a clean shirt and underwear for the morning, then over to the drug store to purchase essentials (you get the picture), a bite of dinner and we collapse in our room around 10:01 p.m. – just in time to record this saga before I crash.

You gotta love the Big Apple!

Monday – 7:17 a.m. - Personal Reflection - I was reminded again yesterday how little control I have over my life. Events I never expected, desired or previously encountered seem to surface without notice.

I came to a simple conclusion by the time the evening was over --- Suck it up… thank God you are safe (especially after that cab ride)… and realize there is a reason for every event in life. Check your attitude. Adjust it where necessary. Make the best of the situation. Move on.

(Besides, I bought new flashy (pricy) underwear and now own the most expensive toothbrush, toothpaste and deodorant I’ve ever purchased. I’m good to go.)


Praying for smooth travel tonight……..

A continuation. . .

Monday – 4:37 p.m. – We board the overbooked plane for Omaha. They are begging for volunteers to give up their seats – for $10,000 I might have considered it. No such luck.

Monday – 7:16 p.m. – the plane has landed BUT the saga continues.

I hurriedly and anxiously make my way to the Delta Baggage Retrieval Office. (I really miss my dirty clothes, toiletries and New York street stained soles on my shoes). Finally, we’ll be reunited. Get out of my way people. Sheeesh they walk slow.

Shawna (baggage claim person) listens to my story. Smiles. Then she begins punching keys on her computer keyboard. She’s looking for the bag number in the computer. (Never throw away your bag receipt) I look around the room. I’m not seeing a piece of luggage that resembles mine. . . At this point I’m tempted to claim someone else’s. . .

Reminder: my bag traveled to Cincinnati last night in route to Omaha (or so I was told).

“I found the number,” she says. “The bag is being “expedited” from LaGuardia and a big sticker has been placed on it.”

Expedited – to speed up, accelerate, hurry up, rush.

From LaGuardia – the point at which it mistakenly left last night for Cincinnati and supposedly on to Omaha.


It’s now 27 hours later! Expedited????

What’s wrong with this picture?

“I’m sure it will be on this flight,” she assures me. (The one I was just on)

We both stare at the luggage carousel fully knowing what the final verdict will be. The baggage claim area and carousel are empty. . .

Well, I guess it didn’t make it,” Shawna profoundly exclaims.

I do the paperwork and she assures me they will call 4-6 hours before they deliver the bag to my home.

Antonym for “Expedite” – to impede --- the perfect definition for my luggage’s demise.

You know what hurts the worst. . . My luggage doesn’t care that it is lost. In fact, it doesn’t care if it ever comes home --- could it be that this is all a conspiracy between the airlines and my personal belongings to teach me about ‘separation anxiety’? - - - this whole thing is causing me to think strange thoughts.

There has GOT to be a better way…

“Please come home to me Dry Idea – New Formula – Antiperspirant……………………………………..”

The ‘Happy Traveler’

Tuesday update – 4:32 p.m. (49 hours and 15 minutes since my luggage went missing) – Called the Baggage Service Office.

Message: “This mailbox is full, please try again later.”

Should I be surprised at this continuation of pitiful service? They’ve sealed the deal – never will I fly with them again and I plan to tell my story every time I need an example about anticipating and exceeding the expectations of people. I’m sure that will scare them -----

8:16 p.m. – Happy days are here again. Luggage #DL202479 and the owner have been reunited.

Looking back. . .it is all rather anti-climatic. BUT ---

But the service experience is indelibly etched into my story telling memory.

Serving. . . focus our attention and energies on anticipating and exceeding people’s expectations with a ‘Yes, I Can’ attitude understanding we are family serving family.

Review the Saga of Flight 6269 – how many opportunities were lost by how many people to make our experience less dramatic, less painful and less irritating?

Now reflect on the past ‘8’ hours. How many opportunities have you overlooked to ‘live out’ the privilege of Serving?

“It is the service we are not obliged to give that people value most.”
James C. Penney

No comments:

Post a Comment