Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Fallen On Rough Times



I like living. I have sometimes been wildly, despairingly, acutely miserable, racked with sorrow, but through it all I still know quite certainly that just to be alive is a grand thing.

Agatha Christie

I’ve Been Thinking. . . about the importance of keeping life in perspective.

On 10:32 Saturday morning Larry approached our table in Bryant Park in New York City. “I’m sorry to bother you,” he apologized. “I’ve fallen on rough times. Could you spare some money?”

“I’m sorry,” I said. “I won’t give you money but I’ll buy you some breakfast at the La Bain Quotidien coffee shop. Come with me.” (It’s just across the street from the park where my wife and I had just purchased our morning goodies to enjoy in the park.)

Larry agreed. As we walked he talked. “I lost my job as a security guard and my wife threw me out,” he said. “I’m cold. I’m hungry. I have nowhere to go.”

I really didn’t care about the accuracy of Larry’s story. In fact, I could care less if he was lying through his teeth. I had prayed that morning that God would place someone in our path that day who needed to be loved and that I would respond with unconditional love.

We walked and talked. Larry ordered a large coffee and almond pastry. I paid the bill and we parted our ways with a handshake and a mutual “God Bless You.”

Later that morning we walked deep into Central Park in New York City. You’ve probably seen the bicycle form of transportation in the city. A strong, but normally, naturally thin, muscular person cycles you in a small carriage fit for two.

We took our first ever eight block ride through Central Park to the “Met” (Metropolitan Museum of Art). Omar was our “driver.” He had immigrated to the United States – to survive. He was from Mali.

“If you have no money in Mali,” Omar said, “you die! I decided to pursue my happiness in America.”

“Are you glad you did? Are you happy?” I asked.

“I’m alive,” he responded. Wow! That was powerful!

Upon arrival, I paid the hefty bill he announced, along with an appropriate tip for the short, but uphill trek to the museum.

We shook hands and shared a mutual, “God Bless You!”

In 1993, North Carolina basketball coach, Jim Valvano was awarded the Arthur Ashe Award for Courage. He had recently discovered that he had incurable cancer and had been given six months to live. He ended his acceptance speech with these words:

“I urge all of you to enjoy your life, every precious moment on this earth. Spend each day with some laughter. Don’t be afraid to feel….to get your emotions going. Be enthusiastic, because nothing great can be accomplished without enthusiasm. Live your dreams.”

Whether you can relate to Larry, Omar or if you are privileged to live a run-of-the-mill normal life, Jim Valvano’s advice is all inclusive.

It’s a great day to be alive! Despite the pain, challenges, disappointments, hurts, mysteries, losses . . . you get the point. . . I’m blessed to be alive. Thank you Omar, Larry, Jim Valvano and late Presidential Press Secretary James Brady. . .

“You gotta play the hand that’s dealt you. There may be pain in that hand, but you play it. And I’ve played it.


James Brady
Presidential Press Secretary



No comments:

Post a Comment