Monday, May 17, 2010

Check For Loose Connections

Check For Loose Connections

“Accept the full gift of this moment-you deserve it. Take hold of today. Use it, enjoy it in the most exciting, creative way you can. This is a day for you to do the things that are most important to you. This is a day to know how good it is to be alive.”
Dru Scott

I’ve Been Thinking . . . how my experiences in young life have affected me in mid-life.

I worked several summers through high school and college as a landscaper and sod buster. The company I worked for was well known for less than adequate equipment. Let’s just say mediocrity, not excellence, was the standard.

One summer I was assigned to a truck that wouldn’t start unless it was pushed. Every trip required an extra effort to find a hill I could park on or be forced to leave the engine running. I used this ingenious approach for weeks and ultimately this nagging irritant became a minor inconvenience.

Half way through the summer a new landscaper was hired. He was assigned to ride with me. This “mechanic type” employee frequently asked about my strange parking tactics and seemed to accept our demise.

One morning as I arrived to work, I found my co-worker under the hood of our truck. I secretly hoped he was only checking the oil and not attempting to overhaul this outdated piece of junk.

“Good Morning,” he said as I approached the truck.

“Good morning,” I replied. “What are you looking for under the hood?”

“I believe I’ve identified the truck’s problem,” he responded. “The battery cable was loose.”

Sure enough. We pushed the truck to get it running and once the battery recharged itself, the need to park on downhill slopes or receive a push to get started was no longer necessary.

As I reflect on that situation today I’m a bit embarrassed that I allowed a needless trouble to determine my routine. The power was there all the time but with a loose connection the power could not be supplied to the engine.

It has been said that “In the journey of life most people stop.” A challenge or obstacle appears on the path and people become obsessed with it rather than with living. What irritants, problems, or challenges are keeping you from connecting to your power source?

There was a very cautious man
Who never laughed or played.
He never risked, he never tried,
He never sang or prayed.
And when he one day passed away,
His insurance was denied.
For since he never really lived,
They claimed he never died.

One of the major keys to living is to keep moving forward on the journey, making the best of the obstacles and problems that appear, turning adversity into an opportunity to make sure our power source is connected. Otherwise, it might be declared that we never really lived.

Isabel Moore aptly stated, “Life is a one-way street. No matter how many detours you take, none of them leads back. And once you know and accept that, life becomes much simpler.”


“Never try to solve all the problems all at once - make them line up for you one-by-one. Whether you face three problems, thirty, or three hundred...make them stand in single file so you face only one at a time.”

Richard Sloma

No comments:

Post a Comment